Here is a happy and healthy little winter salad with an interesting crunch that will keep the bugs away. The zippi-ness of this salad is a great foil to a rich quiche, tourtière or Sunday roast. If you are feeling health conscious, top with leftover roasted chicken or turkey for a great quick lunch!
- 1 small head of fennel, thinly sliced or sliced with a mandolin
- 2 cups kale leaves, thinly sliced, Nero Toscano works well here
- 2 Royal Gala or 1 large Honeycrisp apple sliced into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley and chives
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
Place all ingredients in a small jar and shake well.
- 4 Tbsp pumpkin seeds or pepitas, toasted
- 1/4 salt
- zest of a lemon or 1/2 an orange
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
Place all ingredients in a small food processor and pulse until it is the consistency of coarse sand.
Place all the salad ingredients into a large bowl. Add enough of the dressing to coat. Sprinkle over 1/2 of the pepita blitz and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Plate and sprinkle the remaining blitz.
Happy Healthy Hump Day Everyone!