I made these lettuce wraps for Chinese New Year and they were a hit! This recipe feeds 4-6 as an app but is easily doubled for a larger crowd.
The chicken is great over a bed of rice too if you are looking for a quick and more filling main meal.
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 Tbsp neutral oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 onion, chopped very finely
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced finely or grated
- 1/2 tsp white pepper or black pepper if you don’t have white
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped very finely
- One 8 oz. can of water chestnuts, drained and chopped very finely
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter or cashew butter (optional)
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Salt to taste
- 2 heads of bibb or iceberg lettuce, cored, leaves kept in tact and washed
- Green onions for garnish
- Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- 1-2 Thai red chili peppers, sliced for garnish
- More hoisin sauce or siracha for serving
Heat a wok or a large pan over medium high heat. Add the oil and brown the chicken, breaking it up into pieces as it cooks. Add the onion, ginger, garlic and white pepper. Stir cooking until onion is tender. Add the pepper and water chestnuts and head through.
In the meantime, whisk together the soy sauce, hoisin, sesame, PB, vinegar, and honey in a medium bowl. Pour over the chicken and stir through cooking until the sauce has absorbed and thickened slightly. Adjust for salt and add the Thai chili peppers if using.
Serve the cooked chicken in the lettuce cups and sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds.