My grandma used to make a salad like this but with peanuts and shrimp paste. It was a perfect foil to the richness and spice of her Malaysian curries. Shrimp paste is tough to find and not appealing to all palates so I’ve swapped it out for pepper flakes. Peanuts are a classic but use whatever nuts you have on hand.
Try this salad as a side to your next BBQ. Prepare all the components and toss at the very last minute.
Cucumber and Toasted Almond Salad
- 2 English cucumbers, sliced in half, cored and thinly sliced into half moons
- 1/2 a red onion, thinly sliced
- 5 radishes, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/2 tsp chili pepper flakes
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil or another neutral oil
- 1/2 salt
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 cup roughly chopped cilantro
Toss the cucumber, onion and radish in a large bowl.
In the meantime, heat the oil in a shallow pan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and toast for a few minutes until fragrant. Add the almonds and salt and toss gently until almonds are lightly brown, about 5 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool slightly before incorporating into the salad.
Squeeze the lime juice over the cucumber and sprinkle over the sugar and pepper flakes. Stir in the almonds and all the residual oil and toss in the cilantro until combined.