Enjoy this salad when the last of the winter citrus is still in season. Toasted hazelnuts add a lovely richness and crunch but sliced almonds or pecans would work well too!
Or serve this as a palette cleanser during a meal between rich courses.
Layered Orange and Radish Salad with Mint
- 4-6 oranges, skinned and sliced crosswise into 1/3 inch rounds
- 2 Tbsp thinly sliced red onion
- 4-6 radishes sliced paper thin
- 1 cup tender celery leaves and stalks
- 1 Tbsp good quality olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tsp white balsamic vinegar
- Handful of mint, roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Assemble this salad right before serving.
Place 1/2 the orange rounds on a large serving plate in a single layer. Sprinkle very sparsely with salt and pepper.
In a bowl, toss the onion, radishes, celery, oil and vinegar with the chopped mint. Layer half the radish mixture over the orange slices. Sprinkle very sparsely with salt and pepper.
Repeat with the remaining orange slices and radish mixture. Top with the toasted hazelnuts and drizzle with a bit more olive oil.