The peas are still going strong in our little garden and I’m taking advantage of what seems like a never ending crop.
I like to serve this side dish / salad slightly warm or at room temperature. The cream is subtle and even palatable for non-blue cheese lovers.
Fall Pea, Beet and Stilton Cream Salad
- 1 lb beets, a mixture of colors are fine
- 1 cup shelled peas, blanched
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup marcona almonds, toasted and very roughly chopped
Wrap the beets in foil and cook in a 375°F oven for about an hour until soft. Rub off the skins and cut into 1 inch cubes.
Blue Cheese Cream
- 2 oz. Stilton or other blue cheese, crumbled finely
- 5-6 oz. full fat Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Salt to taste
Whisk the blue cheese cream ingredients in a small bowl. Adjust for salt if necessary.
Light Dijon Dressing
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp white balsamic or champagne vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
Drizzle a few generous tablespoons of the blue cheese cream onto the base of your salad plate.
Whisk together all the dressing ingredients into a medium bowl and toss to coat the beets and green onions and mound the beets over the cream. Add the peas to the dressing bowl to sop up the rest of the dressing, if any and arrange over top of the beets. Sprinkle with almonds and finish with more cream and a dusting of salt.