Shaved brussel sprout salads seem to be popping up everywhere in restaurants all over Toronto.
Like their brassica cousin, the cabbage, they are great in that they can withstand an assertive dressing and some strong flavors. Careful not to over salt this salad. The chorizo and feta already have a very high salt content so season with a light hand.
Shaved Brussel Sprout and Crispy Chorizo Salad
- 1 lb brussel sprouts, trimmed and shaved on a mandolin or by hand
- 3 Tbsp minced white onion, used pickled onion if you have it
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 75 g dry cured chorizo, casing removed and cut into 1/8-inch dice (sub with bacon or turkey bacon if desired)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 5 Tbsp good quality olive oil
- Very little salt and pepper
Place all the dressing ingredients into a jar and give everything a good shake.
Place the chorizo in a small frying pan over medium heat. Render the fat and continue to cook until crisp, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
Toss all the ingredients starting with 2/3 of the dressing. Add more dressing if necessary. Plate and serve.