I call this a toss because you really don’t want to cook the sauce but rather just toss it over the flame to get it piping hot without really cooking down the tomatoes or softening the bacon.
This makes for a super speedy weeknight dinner!
Spaghetti, Bacon and Tomato Toss
- Enough spaghetti for 2 people
- 2 large tomatoes, we use a lovely meaty purple heirloom variety cut into large chunks
- 2 fat cloves garlic, sliced
- Pinch of chili pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 cooked rashers of bacon, roughly chopped (we often cook the bacon at 400°F in a single layer in the oven for about 12-15 minutes)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Big handful or chopped parsley or basil
- 2 Tbsp grated pecorino or Parmesan plus more for serving.
Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain but reserve 1/3 cup of cooking liquid.
In a large pan, heat the oil over medium high and add the garlic and pepper flakes. Fry until fragrant and add the tomatoes with all the accumulated juices along with 1/3 cup of pasta water and a pinch of salt.
Once the tomatoes are hot, add the pasta and stir through. Toss in the bacon, parsley and cheese. Season and serve immediately with more cheese!